Exeter, Launceston & North East TAS
Fitters, Turners & Machinists (Trades & Services)
Located in Exeter, Tasmania, the Fitter and Machinist, supervised by the Fabrication Manager, who is responsible in the fabrication and assembly of mechanical components, as well as operating and maintaining various types of machining equipment. The Fitter-Machinist collaborates with Engineers and Draughts person to create efficient accurate designs that meet standards, deadlines, and budget requirements. this position demands a skillful approach in executing precise machining work while meeting the varying deadlines across multiple projects.
This position entails both workshop and on-site tasks, requiring driving in varying conditions. Travel, including interstate or intrastate travel via car, airplane, or boat, may be necessary, occasionally requiring out-of-hours work commitments.
The job involves substantial physical activities, encompassing activities such as lifting and carrying loads per manual handling guidelines, prolonged standing, operating loud, vibrating, or moving machinery or equipment, climbing ladders, bending, and working in confined spaces or at heights. The work environment may involve hot or cold temperatures, indoor or outdoor settings.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from a recognised University.
- Extensive experience (typically 8+ years) in mechanical engineering, with a focus on hydro mechanical systems and hydropower technology.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical design principles, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and materials science.
- Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software for 2D and 3D modelling (e.g., AutoCAD, SolidWorks).
- Familiarity with hydropower systems, including turbines, pumps, penstocks, and control systems.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams and stakeholders.
- Suitable level of fitness to perform the inherit duties of the position.
- Able to operate safely and effectively in a team environment.
- Licences / Registrations
- Tasmanian Drivers Licence – C Class or Higher
- White Card
Desirable and Other Requirements
- Experience with software such as Finite Element Analysis, with Computational Fluid Dynamics.
- Advanced level of expertise with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Microsoft Project.
- Additional qualifications in renewable energy are desirable.
- Accreditation with Engineers Australia is desirable.
- Project management certification is desirable.
Does this role interest you?
If you would like more information, or would like to come in and see what we do before you apply, please contact our People & Culture team at email@example.com
To apply for the role, please click on the ‘apply here’, button, attaching a current resume, cover letter and answering the application questions.
Please note that successful candidates may be subject to pre-employment medical and national police check prior to an offer being made.
We look forward to hearing from you!